When your eyes and brain, which make up your visual system, don’t coordinate properly to give you clear vision, you can experience trouble with everyday tasks such as reading, writing and processing information. Vision therapy can provide effective treatment for this. We provide individualised vision therapy for adults and kids in North Edmonton, Downtown Edmonton and Sherwood Park, Alberta.
What does vision therapy do?
Vision therapy helps to develop the visual skills that are needed for good, comfortable eyesight. Using optical devices and custom-designed exercises, our vision therapists can improve the eye-brain connection, making eye movements more efficient. Both adult and pediatric vision therapy teach the patient how to better process visual information received from the eyes.
Who can benefit from vision therapy?
In general, people who need vision therapy struggle with one or more of the following issues:
- Strabismus (crossed eyes) or amblyopia
- Learning-related visual problems, stemming from conditions such as poor skills in eye teaming, focusing, tracking and visualisation
- Neurological disorder or trauma to the nervous system that affects vision, including traumatic brain injury, strokes, cerebral palsy, developmental delays, multiple sclerosis or whiplash
- Stress-induced vision problems (eyestrain, headaches), often caused by long periods spent in front of a computer screen
- Poor sports performance; vision therapy can help athletes by enhancing enhance eye-hand coordination, peripheral awareness, visual reaction time, and a broad range of visual skills
What does vision therapy involve?
In-office and home-based exercises comprise vision therapy for adults and kids. After our eye doctor identifies the particular problem(s), we will design a personalised program geared to improve visual function. Typically, the program will include weekly sessions for several months. At each visit to our eye care centres in North Edmonton, Downtown Edmonton and Sherwood Park, we provide patients with instructions for exercises (20-30 minutes) to do at home until the next appointment. Progress is evaluated continually to determine if more exercises, or a different type, are needed.
What type of results can you expect from vision therapy?
Once the eyes focus, align, move and fixate in tandem, a clearer and more comfortable view of the world is created. While the rate at which people experience improvements varies, some progress is typically seen early in the program of vision therapy sessions.
Many of our adult and pediatric patients in North Edmonton, Downtown Edmonton and Sherwood Park have excitedly reported the following outcomes:
- Speed and level of reading increases
- Learning becomes easier, especially for kids in school
- Ability to follow a moving object, such as on the sports field, improves
- Less time is spent on homework
- Objects both nearby and in the distance become sharper
At Village Eye Centre, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 587-410-5920 or book an appointment online to see one of our North Edmonton eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!